Quick Facts

National Historic Landmark in recognition of the significant role played by the lighthouse in American maritime history.

Authorized by the Second Congress in 1792, under President George Washington

Construction began on June 7, 1796 and was completed on November 5, 1796

First lighthouse in New York State

Fourth oldest active lighthouse in the United States

Foundation is 13’deep and 9′ thick

Constructed of sandstone blocks from Connecticut, 8″ high and varying in length from 18″ high to 44″

The walls are 6′ thick at the base tapering to 3′ thick at the top

The height of the tower is 110′ 6″

There are 137 iron steps to the top of the tower

The light flashes every 5 seconds and can be seen a distance of 19 nautical miles